[This page: tlt.gs/queries]
- How will this "anthology" be used? By whom?
- Can you identify one person or one group of people who could make one decision, one commitment to take one step that would improve some part of higher education within the next one year?
- What could be done by whom to convince this person or group to make that decision or commitment? Take that step?
[ ] When does a student want interchangeable teachers?
[ ] When does a teacher want interchangeable students?
Miami University Students:
If you could tell faculty members one thing that would most improve their teaching and your learning?
Teacher makes me understand that he/she will help me
Gen Ed courses - make them more accessible to non-majors
Give more time for students who don't speak English to prepare
Gen Ed courses - include some interaction, engagement in big courses
Flexibility in schedule, syllabus when can't cover enough from syllabus
Varied times for office hours
Allow enable students to work together within a course
Clearer explanations for assignments that seem like "busy work" to students
What about faculty use of social media?
Liked faculty who brought in professional friends via Facebook
Liked requirement to begin new Facebook accts for a spanish course
too distracting by other personal activities within facebook twitter if trying to do courese work within those media
What was favorite assignment and why?
"Miami plan" class - intro anthropology; miniature ethnography project - applying to outside
Assignments that help understand what, why learning and how it will help in future
Taking photographs in Europe - similar in structure to "Family of Man" exhibit
Students need to be forced to think about WHY they are doing things, learning things
Having more freedom to choose aspects of materials in higher level courses
Like balance between structure and individual choice in assignments
SWG What makes you more likely to go to a class? To prepare before going to that class?
Are students secretly recording classes?
Teacher says I can't understand you - doesn't offer to help
Presentation - Margaret Driscoll, Charles Ansorge
- Top 5 (10?) questions and recommendations TLT Beginners Advice [Thanks to Margaret Driscoll]
Panel of Mentors - Moderator Steve Gilbert; Panelists: Charles Ansorge + 2-5 other Mentors (guest: Jennifer McCrickerd?)
- What I wish someone had told me before I taught my first online course;
- Favorite resources to help prepare to teach online course
- What you plan to do next with your current mentees? New mentees?
- Comments about participating in TOL4B as a team vs. as individuals
- Following cited by Ron Berk November 18 2011 in Humor session at International Lilly Conference #lilly11
See also "Humor Research"
- "...non-reproducible experience is goal for classroom activities - what neither students nor teacher can get any other way"
- "Humor is the ability to see three sides to one coin." -Ned Rorem http://t.co/DONdckBf
- "Go for the bronze!"
- "Objects may be smaller than they appear on the Web"
- SEE HHolcomb paranoia vs rationality
PO Box 5643